Summer is over which means surfs up for our four legged friends. Many dog friendly beaches have extended hours during the off-season. See below for a list of Dog Beaches in Southern California.
In order to keep these beaches dog friendly please be a responsible dog parent and pick up after your dog immediately. Also respect the wildlife and keep your dog away from tide pools and wildlife nesting grounds.
1) Rosie’s Dog Beach, Long Beach, CA
- Location: At the water, between Roycroft and Argonne avenues in Belmont Shore, Long Beach (zip 90803), a few blocks east of the Belmont Pier and Olympic pool.
- Parking: From Ocean Blvd, enter the parking lot at the Belmont Olympic Pool, 1 Bennett Ave. for the beachfront metered parking lot — 25 cents every 15 minutes from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., daily. Also, there is FREE parking after approx. 5 p.m., daily when you enter the beachfront lot at the end of Granada Ave.
- Hours: Hours are 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., daily.
- Additional Information: http://www.hautedogs.org/beach.html
- Location: Dog Beach is located in Huntington Beach, CA on Pacific Coast Highway between Seapoint Ave, and 21st Street.
- Parking: GPS, Google Maps, Mapquest - enter 100 Goldenwest St, Huntington Beach, CA
- Hours: From 5am to 10pm 365 days. The parking lots close at 10pm.
- Additional Information: http://dogbeach.org/
3) Del Mar Dog Beach, North Beach, CA
- Location: Located north of 29th Street and stretches nearly one half mile to Solana Beach border.
- Parking: Paid parking is available for $3.00 per hour at the North Beach along Camino Del Mar.
- Hours: Dogs must be leashed June 15th through Labor Day
Dogs able to run under voice control of owner from the day after Labor Day through June 14th
- Additional Information: http://www.delmar.ca.us/visitors/Pages/DogBeach.aspx
4) Ocean Beach Dog Beach, San Diego, CA
- Location: Take I-8 west toward The Beaches. Where I-8 ends, turn left onto Sunset Cliffs Boulevard, then bear right staying on Sunset Cliffs toward the town of Ocean Beach. Turn right onto Point Loma. The entrance to the Dog Beach is the first turn on the right.
- Hours: San Diego’s only 24 hour beach for dogs
- Additional Information: http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/ob.shtml
- Location: Iris Street and Ocean Blvd
- Hours: Before 9am and after 5pm, year round. Pets must be on a 6 foot or less leash.
- Additional Information: http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=652
Let us know of any other dog beaches you know of in Southern California below!
Don’t forget to check out our K9TailsLA Web store for all your pet supply needs. Click Here to visit.
About the Author: